Friday, June 15, 2018

Golf in Holbrook, AZ

Holbrook is a small town in eastern Arizona.  We stopped here so we could explore Petrified Forest National park just a few miles away.  We had a few days there and knew the park would take only 1 day.  I called one of the local golf courses to see if we could get a tee time.  Normally when you do this you get the pro shop, select a tee time and find out the cost.  Not here!  When I called I someone did answer but I was told they don't have a pro shop or set tee times.  Just come on out and play.  The next day we went to play 18.

When we arrived we were not sure what to do.  We saw golf carts but none were available.  So we figures we'd get pull carts and walk.  After wondering aimlessly trying to figure out how to pay for the round a maintenance guy showed up.  He was friendly and helpful. At this course you pay at a vending machine.  $10 gets you 18 holes and a cart.  $5 gets you 18 with no cart.  But when I tried to pay the machine would not take my money.  The guy said it usually does not work.  Once he found out we were tourists just passing thru he told us to just go out and play for free.  Nice!!

We looked over the pull carts and found 2 we thought would work.  Diana's worked fine.  Mine lacked any straps to hold the golf bag on the cart.  So I looked for a different one but the others were worse.  So I dug around in the car and pulled out some rope and tied the bag on the cart.  This was not great so I had to hold the bag on while I walked.  On the 4th hole the bag fell off and I had to untie the rope and start over.  On the 5th hole the maintenance guy shows up with a cart and tells us to use it.  So we transfer our clubs while he waits then he takes both the pull carts and walks back to the building where we got them.

The course was nice.  Excellent tee boxes and the greens were great.  The fairways were great in some places and poor in others.  The views of the course and around it were beautiful.  Overall it was a nice course...especially for free!

No comments:

Post a Comment