Saturday, May 11, 2013

Hot Water

Last night we had beautiful weather.  So when we got to the RV from working on the house I pulled out some lawn chairs and we had happy hour outside.  It was great since we have not had many days to be out because of the rain and cool temps.  As we headed inside I stowed the chairs, grill and other stuff because it is supposed to rain again today.  Later I was going to hand wash some dishes. (All dishes are hand washed as there is no dishwasher in the RV.  Well, there is but his name is Bob!)  As I start in with the washing the water never got hot.  Well, shoot, now what!  So I check the switch to the water heater to be sure it had not been turned off accidentally.  It was fine.  Next I checked the circuit breaker, it also seemed fine.  Next I switched the heat source from electric to propane to see if that will heat the water.  Wait 20 minutes...test the water...cold!  So I went out and opened the panel to the hot water tank.  It is warm and all seems fine.  I give up for the night.  Diana washed her face with cold water and we crawled into bed.  I did not sleep well thinking about the up coming cold shower in the morning and what we might have to do to get the hot water back.  Woke up this morning and thought of one more thing before I call the RV dealer service center and make a fool of myself.  Good thing too.  Apparently when I put the chair away last night I turned on the by pass valve for the water heater.  This allows cold water to flow but by passes the hot water tank(thus the name).  The purpose of this is so when you winterize the water system you don not put antifreeze in the water tank.  (I guess that would be bad.)  So I turned the valve back on and BINGO!!!We have hot water.

Now I'll wash the dishes then take a nap!

No comments:

Post a Comment